The Deloitte Best Managed Companies awards 2016 took place at Dublin’s Convention Centre on Friday.
This marked the eighth year of the Deloitte Best Managed Companies awards programme, in association with Barclays Bank Ireland.
Sixteen companies from around Ireland were awarded Best Managed status for the first time this year, following a lengthy qualification and judging process in which the complete performance of a business is assessed, moving beyond finances to such areas as operational excellence, strategy and human resource processes.
Almost 40% of the first time winners came from the technology and media industries, with 20% coming from the construction sector.
The awards were attended by over 800 people from the Irish business community. Frank Ryan, chair of the independent judging panel, was keynote speaker on the night.
Forty per cent of 2016’s Best Managed Companies are Dublin-based, with Cork (13%), Galway (5%) and Kerry (4%) also well represented. This year’s winners have also been drawn from Clare, Kildare, Kilkenny, Limerick, Louth, Mayo, Monaghan, Offaly, Roscommon, Tipperary, Waterford, Westmeath and Wexford and span industries including technology, construction, manufacturing, and consumer services.
Managing Partner of Deloitte and judging panel member, Brendan Jennings commented, "Congratulations to all the 2016 winners. All the companies here tonight are at the end of a long process of evaluation, which makes their Best Managed designation even more rewarding and valuable as a marketing tool for their business.
"It is clear that these companies make an invaluable contribution to the Irish economy - employing 47,000 people and generating turnover of €10bn. It’s also really encouraging to see such a large number of technology companies among the winners, another indicator of the global reputation Ireland is building as a hub for such activity."
First time recipients of a Best Managed Company Award are:
• Abtran in Cork (Technology, Media, Telecommunications)
• Asavie Technologies in Dublin (Technology, Media, Telecommunications)
• Combined Facilities Management Ltd in Antrim (Construction)
• Denroy Plastics Ltd in Down (Manufacturing)
• Fenergo Limited in Dublin (Technology, Media, Telecommunications)
• FEXCO in Kerry (Finance)
• Heat Merchants Group in Westmeath (Construction)
• King and Moffatt in Roscommon (Construction)
• Learning Pool in Derry (Technology, Media, Telecommunications)
• LED Group in Dublin (Consumer Business)
• Novosco in Antrim (Technology, Media, Telecommunications)
• Portwest Ltd in Mayo (Manufacturing)
• SalesSense International Limited in Galway (Consumer Business)
• Sigmar Recruitment in Dublin (Consumer Business)
• Williams Industrial Services in Antrim (Energy and Resources)
• Wisetek Solutions Limited in Cork (Technology, Media, Telecommunications)